DCML digest, Vol 1 #563 - 10 msgs

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Tue Jun 12 08:45:18 CEST 2001

OLIVIER:

> One final thing: does anyone know why Barks so drastically changed
> Daisy & Gladstone in his very last stories (the beauty salon and the
> Ancient Mariner ones)? Editorial demand, I presume? How horrible
> they look! they can't be Daisy and Gladstone! They must be-- they
> have to be-- cons!

Perhaps it was Barks' way of forcing his editors to allow him to retire:
"if you don't let me go, I'll start drawing my characters like this"!
I always wondered why he left "King Scrooge The First" unfinished;
perhaps he grabbed the first opportunity to go on retirement, before
his editors changed their mind!

FRANCESCO:

> They needed *two* short guys so that while one would be picking up the
> jewels the other could just take them away, since there was little time to
> do it, for the water falling.

Which is another thing that wasn't explained in the version I read.
Nobody talked about this or seemed to be aware of the problem beforehand,
there was no explanation given as to why the cave started to flood as
soon as Mickey entered it, or at least some indication that Mickey had
sprung some kind of booby trap, and Mickey appeared unaware that the
cave was flooding until it was almost too late.

Sounds like another case of "The Lentils of Babylon", where the subtle
detail on which the plot hangs is lost in translation. :(

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"I am not expendable, I am not stupid and I am not going!"
-----