Thanks, Harry, but not so fast....

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Fri Jun 15 04:58:36 CEST 2001

From: "Fluks, H.W." <H.W.Fluks at kpn.com>
> A number of people, including Mr. Rosa himself, were
> able to find me and send me emails. Except for Mr.
> Rosa&#8217;s email, they all shared similar experiences
> they&#8217;d had with Mr. Rosa at various events.

experiences didn't have a reason to write to you in private mail!

Harry, I appreciate you trying to defend me here, but you are inadvertently
lending credibility to nonsense so blatantly untrue that I was not going to
bother to address it again. All anyone has to do is reread my old response
to this stuff when it was posted the first time when I returned from Norway
to find that first anonymous message. I still stand by every word of that.

If people wrote to this guy telling him of having an experience such as he
describes (note that I do not say an experience such as he *had*) then they
must be people on this ML, eh? Then I challenge them to acknowledge this
fact. If they are too "timid" to do it in public, write a private message
to somebody... maybe Harry will accept them.
I think I am widely known to be one of the hardest working comics
professionals to ever sit in an artist alley. As a comic fan first and a
professional second, I consider such events to be a "sacred duty". I never
get up, never stop to eat, never refuse an autograph or discussion, never
stop drawing the pictures on my list of names until the last one is done
and everyone is happy. At times I've done this non-stop for 10 hours
straight. People see me do it in Europe for 5 or 6 hours straight, all for
free. On the other hand, when I finally decided that I am *no longer* doing
drawings at American cons, only signing autographs and prints, no amount of
verbal abuse will make me change my mind. I'm funny that way. If I cave in
to one griping, moaning person, it would be grossly unfair to all the
polite people who accepted the obvious fact that I am entitled to do or not
do whatever I wish.

>>>You can't judge his reaction if you don't know the background. Maybe
Rosa
*gave away* this poster as a *personal gift*. I know *I* wouldn't be very
pleased if I saw something on sale that I gave away shortly before. It's
like the receiver didn't like the gift.

This could only refer to one possible instance. I once gave a very nice
limited edition Norwegian poster of my Duck Family Tree to a "collectibles"
dealer in Seattle whom expressed herself as a real fan and asked for one of
the posters. These were beautifully done for big-shots at Egmont, and the
publisher gave me about 10 to do with as I pleased. As is often the case
with goodies that fall into my hands, I could have SOLD these for a great
deal of $, but they were given to me as freebies, so I am honor bound to
pass the extras on to other fans for free (after I autographed them). This
was the poster that I saw being sold for, I can't recall, $100 or
something. And there was the poor sucker who bought it. If the receiver of
such a gift decided they no longer wanted it, all they need to do is give
it back to me or give it to another fan... not sell it at their profit. Did
that make me mad? Yep! But obviously not mad at the unwitting buyer. What
sense would that make?

But I wasn't going to address this drivel any further. Sorry! That's
absolutely my last word and the last word needed.