(no subject)

Wouter Wouter at agroweb.nl
Sun Jun 17 12:47:09 CEST 2001

 DON ROSA:
And there were some unmemorable promotional appearances in the Dell comics (even though one was by Walt Kelly, which I would not say was "inspired".... it seemed a bit "uncomfortable"). But these newspaper comics and such were long gone by the time I was even born, and they were never reprinted for me to see later.

WOUTER (ME):

I have seen lots of those old newspapercomics with Jose and Panchito in the older Dutch weekly's, just about 1980 - 1984. There especially was a very long follow-up-story with Jose Carioca, which I always will remember as one of the best Disney-comics I have ever read. It is very funny; he get's more tangled up in his lies every story. I also believe this was the base for the later Dutch-Jose-stories. I and a lot other Dutch readers I've heard of really love the caracter in these storys and the later Dutch one's, although in my opinion they never can stand up to these news-paper-comics.

FERNANDO:

Yes, I'm familiar with the Panchito's
Dutch stories...but I was not speaking about then when I ask! Probably Señor
Martinez is a Dutch creation, right Dutch members?

WOUTER:

Senor Martinez is not a Duthc creation, he already was in the old American newspaper-comics, which were reprinted from time to time in the Dutch weekly's (in 1980 every week on the backside for half a year). The Dutch writers went on with this, I believe, just like with Jose's caracter.

I was a bit surprised about the horse but I didn't notice Jose's change of caracter in: "The three Caballero's ride again". I really liked the story, the horse-change didn't bother me and I found it great to see them meeting again and their friendship was touching, Don Rosa always puts in another volume of dept (and lots of funny and exciting situations).

Them meeting again, by the way, also happened in an old American story, but I like to forget this, I didn't really like that story. It was in an old Dutch weekly from 1980, Harry probably knows it better than me.

Greetings,
Wouter.