Van Horn - The eyes have it

Jeff LeRose jlerose at rtci.com
Sun Jun 17 16:48:31 CEST 2001

> Rodney to Francesco:
>
> > I was wondering what it is that you don't like about Van Horn's art.  His
> > early material tended to be a little sloppy, but his later stuff I think
> > looks wonderful.
>
> Since I - too - am not very big fun of Van Horn's drawings, I can give you
> one reason: eyes. Especially HDL's eyes seem awfully misplaced and clumsy.
> However, the stories are good.
>
> --
> Ari Seppi (mani at sci.fi)

At first, I also had mixed feelings about Van Horn's art, until I
realized that in many cases, he made very simple scenes come alive, and
they were some of my favorites.  I think his placement and treatment of
the eyes really adds to the loose and alive look of his work. This
unrestrained approach makes his work real fun. Which to me is what it’s
all about.
Jeff