sodapop

Kjell Crone kjell.crone at ifsab.se
Tue Jun 19 11:58:26 CEST 2001

Anders Christian Sivebaek:

>Is that the word, sodapop?
This is interesting,
according to my dictionary, there is no such word! Strange.
But soda, isn't that carbonated plain water ?
And lemonade, isn't that *uncarbonated* fruit juice, with water and sugar
added ?
There also is something called "soft drink", I think this is the right word.

>Especially in Sweden this formed a large tradition
>of the known fact that ducks drink Läskebläsk
Oh yes, of course they drink *Läskeblask*!
(roughly translated: soft drink wash,
where wash means a liquid that looks like used dishwater)
There also is a competitor to Läskeblask called Bubbelblurp.
The word "läskeblask" is used by lots of people, including "normal" people.
Many of them probably don't know the origin of the word.

>I wonder if the known fact in Sweden originates in a barks-story,
>maybe even the boxing story where Donald has been drinking
>much too much sodapop
Yes, that is WDC 282: Bubbleweight Champ
I'm not sure this is the first occurrence of the word,
perhaps someone else knows that,
but I remember when I read this story as a kid,
and never understood why Donald became sick from drinking Läskeblask.
All kids did that and we never behaved like this :-)

BTW, the name "Långtbortistan" (Farawaystan) is sometimes used in Sweden
when you refer to an indefinite distant locality.

kjell croné