the anecdote about Ducks

Francois Willot cacou661 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 14:49:59 CEST 2001

Owen and Anders talked about the exageration or
non-exageration of Barks' popularity in Europe.

I have been surprised myself by how many of the French
people (young, male for most of them) know Barks. I
would estimate that 2 thirds of this part of the
French population know who the Duck man is.
I think this is a recent phenomenon, due to the
abondance of Disney comics and the fact that Barks is
mentioned and credited in every issue of Picsou
Magazine (we own this to Pascal Pierrey, the editor of
Picsou). In the 80s, Barks' name seldom appeared,
based on the (wrong) assumption that readers do not
care about names, and about history of Disney comics.

Articles appeared in the Journal de Mickey in the mid
80s, after such books like The Carls Barks Librairy or
the Another Rainbow Barks oils book were published.

In the medias, the coverage of Barks' death was tiny,
except for a few newspapers (Liberation). The French
Belgium comics are seen as much more adults and
important (which is not totally wrong. I think French
comics are better on average to Disney comics).

  Francois
  (Yes, I am supposed to work)