Carl Barks 100th Birtday tribute in a Greek magazine

Georgios Balanikas M.D. gbalanik at med.auth.gr
Sun Mar 4 23:50:41 CET 2001

Today I was surprised opening the  Magazine Suplement of the newspaper with
the greater Sunday circulation  and one of the most eminent Greek newspapers
:"To Vima tis Kyriakis".
There is a four page article dealing with the life and work of Carl Barks,
in the "Vimagazino"(like the New York Times Sunday Magazine but with a
glossy paper of exceptional quality as in KOMIX) and full of pictures and
drawings, written by Ilias Kanellos.
The article has the title "Carl Barks" and the subtitles :"The Good Duck
Artist", "If he would live today ,the Scrooge's father, would be 100".
The article describes the artistic journey of the great Master from his
first steps to the end of his rich career,illustrated with a large picture
of him (From his trip to Oslo,the known photo) ,and some of his drawings for
his creations(Magica,Scrooge,Beagle Boys,Gyro,Gladstone),a gang from the
story"The TV Quiz Show" and a sketch from The Calgary Eye Opener.
There is also a special part  titled "The Epigonoi (Successors) of Carl
Barks" starting first with a paragraph for our dear Don Rosa ( with a self
portrait),then with R.Scarpa (with a photo), Faulker Reiche(?) (with also a
self
portrait) and following by a paragraph about all the other known artists
accompanying also with a sketch of Barks throwing eggs (by Ben Verhagen ).
I have noticed that since last year when this company has bought a part of
"AKTINA", the publishing company of KOMIX ,there were several articles about
Carl Barks' art. I hope they will dedicate also articles in the future about
his "Epigones",Don Rosa and the other good artists.

GEORGIOS

www.balanikas.eyemd.org