digest #430

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Mar 5 14:36:52 CET 2001

> From: Kriton Kyrimis <kyrimis at cti.gr>
> According to a booklet distributed with yesterday's newspapers here
> in Greece, starting from 2003, EU countries will be allowed to produce
> commemorative coins in non-standard denominations, which will be legal
> currency in the country in which they were issued. I suspect that it will
> only be a matter of time before uncle Scrooge coins are produced in,
> say, Italy or Finland.

Don't hold your breath. You might see Bugs Bunny or Asterix or Superman
coins, but for there to be a government-issue $crooge coin, there is a
certain corporation who will demand a monstrous up-front fee based on the
current and projected size of the nation's treasury, a royalty on a
nation's gross national product once such a coin becomes legal tender, and
then a controlling voice in the government to force the nation to conduct
itself it a politically correct manner. Unlicensed globe makers would then
be compelled to leave those spots blank until they pay for a license and
agree to make all the colors and shapes on the entire globe to strict
specifications. And if that country did not continue to increase its gross
national product and pay a larger royalty share year by year, there'd be no
choice but to put it out of business. (Perhaps it would become a vacation
estate in Mr. Eisner's retirement package?)