Fethry and Sgrizzo

Francesco Spreafico frspreaf at tin.it
Wed Mar 14 14:30:37 CET 2001

From: "Gilles MAURICE" <goofy313g at infonie.fr>

> Does anyone could tell me more about Sgrizzo/Kildare? I only have one
little
> story from him. Is it said in a story that he is Donald's cousin? I  saw
him
> in an Italian Duck Familytree published in PM 292, but there were no
links
> between the characters...

There are no links, Sgrizzo was created by Romano Scarpa in 1964 (he had
no idea that in the meanwhile Kinney and Hubbard were creating Fethry, the
two are completely original characters) for the story "Sgrizzo il piu'
papero balzano del mondo" (That means "Sgrizzo, the oddest duck in the
world") on Topolino #465.
In that story Donald receives a letter from Sgrizzo (he recognizes it by
the messy way stamps are attached on it) and so he's forced to tell HDL
who this Sgrizzo is. He takes a photo album (that he kept hidden from
them) with "Odd relatives" and tells them that Sgrizzo is "a fourth cousin
of theirs". I'm not sure what Scarpa meant with that "fourth" I think its
the degree of relationship, but I'm not really sure.

Anyway, after that story the character adn't been used at all till 1988,
in Scarpa's "Paperolimpiadi". After that he became more and more used,
especially in fine stories written by Luca Boschi (who definitely loves
the character).

--
Sprea
http://digilander.iol.it/sgrizzo (Scarpa)