Mike, Anders: Dutch Kalevala

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Thu Mar 15 12:02:01 CET 2001

I know. But the Dutch apparently decided that a poem *must* rhyme. So they
tried to make that, and didn't fully succeed (or: made a mess of it).

> Have I missed something? When was it printed in English?

Er... well... no, it wasn't printed in English. I must have misremembered.
8-)

Certainly no one in my country hates Don Rosa personally.

> 1. don't want the stories in the weekly

The official reason is: the Dutch think that Don's stories are too complex
for the children they are aiming at in the weekly. That's why they put them
in DD Extra.
The fact that Roep does not like Rosa's art is only secundary.

> 2. Put covers on the DD Extras with Don's stories by another
> artist, even
> though iut would be easy to get the original ones. Some of
> those covers
> look horrid. others are just overdrawn from Rosa.

That's a matter of taste. I haven't seen any "horrid" cover on a Dutch Rosa
issue. I *did* see some horrible covers drawn by Rosa himself, so I can
understand that the editors don't use them.

> I just don't, as a Rosa-reader, understand why they if they hate
> the stories and covers, just don't publish them instead of
> ruining them.

They *love* Rosa's stories, so they are happy to use them. They just don't
seem to put much effort in good translations (or getting the right version,
for instance).

> The Coin in dutch (This would stand as an example alone...)

As an example of what? Anything wrong with the Dutch version of "The Coin"?

--Harry.