In defense of Italian comics

Dr. Archontis Pantsios apantsio at ac.anatolia.edu.gr
Thu May 3 13:48:31 CEST 2001

KRITON:

> I was wondering whether any of these titles is worth buying on a regular
> basis, and in particular MIKY MAOUS, which is the flagship title.

I didn't use to buy it on a regular basis but for the past year or so I was
"forced" to do it as my two boys are in school age and basically want to get
their hands on *all* the Disney publications! I must say that I haven't
regretted it as more often than not the stories published are solid--many
times you'll get to see Scarpa, Massimo De Vita, or Cavazzano from the 70's,
80s, or 90s.

> I understand that MIKY MAOUS mainly prints stories from Topolino, which,
> from what I gather from recent discussions, has become a good example
> of Sturgeon's law (90% of anything is trash).

I beg to disagree: I 've been subscribing to "Topolino" for the past 2 years
and I've been reading all the stories appearing therein. While you won't
find top stories in each issue, chances are that you'll find at least one
that is above average among the 5 or so that appear every week. Personally,
I wouldn't call anything I've seen in the past 2 years as "trash", much less
"90% trash". You won't find truly memorable stories all too often, but you
can rely on being entertained. Italian comics are an acquired taste: you
have to try them in good quantities before you actually get hooked on them!
That's what happened to me, as I now subscribe to 6 titles ("Topolino", "Zio
Paperone", "I Classici Disney", "I Grandi Classici Disney", "Paperino", and
"Paperinik").

re: KOMIX
> Should you want to resume writing what was originally your column,
> simply let me know!

No need for it; you've been doing an excellent job!

Cheers,

Archontis