Daisy's phone number and snafu

DYER,SONIA (HP-Cupertino,ex1) sonia_dyer at hp.com
Sun May 6 05:00:19 CEST 2001

Subject: Daisy's phone number
Regarding Daniel's questions:

>> Inside back cover U$ 7 (Sept - Nov '54):
>>         Citrus 2437

>What does "Citrus" mean (as part of a phone number)?

   In the USA before 1960, the central office portion of a phone number was
given a name for the public to use, to make it easier to remember the first
three digits to dial.  Based on the letters marked on telephones, the number
CITrus 2437 would actually be dialed as 248-2437.  Before dials were added
to phones, you just told the operator to connect you to Citrus 2437.

   Regarding the term snafu, your dictionary has been edited to be
politically correct.  In my past connection with the military, the letter
"f" invariably represented the much ruder word you had in mind.

	Sonia

Message: 4