DCML digest, Vol 1 #523 - 11 msgs

DGE@ECN.egmont.com DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Thu May 10 11:10:43 CEST 2001

	Hey everyone:

>I seem to remember they've talked about the margarine factory at least
>since the eighties, possibly longer.

	I've done some research here at Egmont:
	WDC 165's skunk oil factory became a margarine factory for the first
time in Denmark in 1955. Other countries apparently got it from Denmark.
This DCML debate has taken us to a revelation here within Egmont: this fact
that in the 1950s, our Scandinavian comics were translated from each other
rather than from Barks' originals. Our old records never said anything about
it, which is why I didn't bother to do a comparison and find out before.
	Moving on to how the margarine factory became a standard, my Egmont
cohort Lars Bergström tells me more: in 1979 he and fellow editor Jørgen
Fogedby decided to give Donald a "standard" workplace when he wasn't working
for Scrooge. They picked the margarine factory, thinking it Barks' idea; at
the time, they had no access to the English version, but since Lars (a
Swede) and Jørgen (a Dane) both remembered it from their own countries'
versions, it seemed like it must be in the original, too.
	More recently, finding it wasn't, the Egmont editors have - as
people have noticed - brought back the skunk oil factory, along with other
boring-but-funny jobs. Still, there is quite a tradition here of Donald
making margarine, as well as now and then flooding the city with the
slippery stuff.

	David