Creation of Gus Goose

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Thu May 10 22:53:57 CEST 2001

HALSTEN AASTEBOL to DON ROSA, 03-05-2001:

> From an article (probably in CBL in color) I've got the impression
> that it was Barks who came up with and made rough sketches for the
> character Gus Goose. Do you know if this true? If so, Gus is the
> first Disney character created by Barks!

"The Carl Barks Library" set 7, page 423, shows a sketch of an early
version of Gus Goose from the never-made October 1937 cartoon "Interior
Decorators". (This early Gus is shown next to Gyro Gearloose. The
accompanying text mentions that Barks adapted the same hayseed look
for Gyro Gearloose.)

At this time, the goose's name, appearance, and personality were still
in the formative stages, and Barks drew two different versions of the
character. One bears a striking resemblance to Gyro, the other looks
like the final and more familiar version of Gus.

If "Interior Decorators" would have been completed, it would have been
Gus' premiere appearance (instead of "Donald's Cousin Gus", 1939).

Barks drew an eating sequence for "Interior Decorators", which provided
the inspiration for Gus' voracious appetite in "Donald's Cousin Gus".

(Source: "The Carl Barks Library" set 7, page 438.)

Best wishes,

--- Daniel