Margarine

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Fri May 11 14:33:40 CEST 2001

Stefan Diös wrote:

> Let me also relate a very interesting post from the Swedish list by Lars
> Petrus, who reminds us that many people were suspicious when margarine
> first was introduced some 50 years ago. It was regarded somewhat
unnatural,
> maybe like some people think today of food that has been manipulated
> genetically. Lars says that margarine even had to be colored blue in
> Sweden, lest some unsuspecting customer might confuse it with real butter!
> This is something I've never heard before, and I'll agree with Lars that
it
> might have added some comedy to the mentioning of the substance in 1955.

And I reply:

Some here may recall another interesting fact about the early production of
margarine.  Here in the U.S.A., margarine had no real color, it was
basically translucent (almost clear).  When you bought it at the store,
included was a packet of yellow food coloring that you were supposed to mix
in with the margarine to make it look like butter.  According to Stefan's
post, Sweden opted for blue food coloring instead.

I could certainly see Donald spending his work day squishing various food
colorings into margarine for export to different nations.  To relieve his
boredom, he might decide to creatively squeeze (finger-paint style) multiple
colors into the goo in rough patterns that looked like the flags of the
corresponding countries.  To me, that would be funny.

--
Dan Shane
(danshane at bellsouth.net)