Italian favorites

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Tue May 15 22:41:53 CEST 2001

Søren:

>>> I TL 604-A, "Zio Paperone e il biliardo da un miliardo"
>>> Despite the obvious "unfairness" of the story, I love it! :-)

>> I can't understand why anyone would find pleasure in reading such
>> things...

> "such things"!? Hmmm. Do you really think that Scrooge acts pleasantly
> and friendly towards Donald for example, in general I mean, reading
> Barks or Rosa? Scrooge is often an old ruthless, stingy duck--no
> mitigating circumstances whatsoever...

Indeed, Scrooge is too harsh on Donald in Rosa stories, sometimes.

> Read Barks' "Sunken Yacht". Do you find this "fair play"?

No. And do I like that aspect of the story? No. Same with "The Magic
Hourglass".

> Why all this loftiness, not even the super heroes that we know of are
> so black and white. In fact, it's when they fail to be so, surprise
> us, that things and stories get really interesting and special and
> something we'll never forget.

I guess so. Maybe I'm only objecting to the situations where a main
character behaves badly, and doesn't get punished for that.

> I don't believe there *can* be any difference between Dutch and Danish
> culture in this sense. It must be a simple matter of taste! :-)

Yep! That must be it. 8-)

--Harry.
(Still reading pocket books with Italian stuff; last week I read 3 bad
stories and 1 good one.)