Disney comics in USA again?!

JTorci3511@aol.com JTorci3511 at aol.com
Sun May 20 17:44:23 CEST 2001

Everyone:

I certainly share the enthusiasm of Rodney W Bowcock, Jr. and my good friend
Chuck Munson over the possible return of a Disney comics line to the USA.
It's been what now... only two and one half years?  How many wars have been
wrapped up in less time than these license negotiations?!

Where Rodney and I part company is over his comment below:

<< "...but surely folks would welcome stories from the first Gladstone
 run (like Editor In Grief, and Race For Riches) with new color."   >>

Actually, NO... I would not prefer to continue buying mass quantities of
stories I ALREADY OWN!   Especially in view of the fact that SO VERY MUCH has
been produced that we in the USA may never live to see!  Just the volume of
new work produced by Don Rosa, William and Noel Van Horn, and David Gerstein
should be enough to carry the new line for some time!

It was a particular problem for me, with Gladstone Series II, that they would
so often "repeat" stories they ran during Series I.  That, and the paper
covers and temporary removal of the letter columns.

The readership of American Disney comics doesn't continually "turn over" to
the extent that the readership of publishers like Archie does!  Many of us
have been a part of this for literally decades.  Do we really need more
reprints of stories which appeared in both the '80s and '90s, and can be
found in the back issues bins or online?

Then, there are so many American stories which have never been reprinted in
the USA.  Two of my favorites of all time fall into this category: Tony
Strobl's "The Incredible Golden Iceberg" (A story worthy of what Barks was
doing at the time with Scrooge and Magica - and for which Barks produced the
illustrative cover) DONALD DUCK # 101 1965.  Paul Murry's "The Return of the
Phantom Blot"  (My generation's introduction to The Blot, with one of the
best surprise endings of all time!) WALT DISNEY'S COMICS AND STORIES #
284-287 1964.

"Iceberg" WAS reprinted in Whitman's DONALD DUCK # 234, but that's probably
much more difficult to find than the original.

Barks and Gotfredson should be part of the mix of ANY Disney comics line but,
if Gary Leach or anyone potentially involved with this new endeavor is
reading this, please have the greater emphasis be on stories yet to be
published in the US or those not seen in more than a quarter century.

Joe Torcivia.  (...looks forward to having letter columns again! )