DCML digest, Vol 1 #543 - 12 msgs

Sue and Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Thu May 24 19:59:32 CEST 2001

Michael Naiman wrote:

       IF Gemstone/Diamond/Geppi and Disney do come to an agreement,
AND given the new agreement between Marvel and Diamond to distribute
trade paperbacks to bookstores...is it any stretch of the imagination
that we might see even more reprints/repackaging of our Barks/Rosa
        favorites in tradepaperback form in a bookstore in your community?

I'd have to say that this is, in fact, a mighty huge stretch. Putting Disney
comics material into trade paperback form would involve an entirely new set
of licensing negotiations with Disney. Also, trade paperbacks are a much
larger market space, and the license would have to accommodate other
licensed participants who, even though they don't handle comics material as
such, would see Diamond's entry as, at the very least, intrusive. Disney
pays very close attention to this sort of thing these days, which is another
reason negotiations now seem to take forever.

I'm not trying to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, but it's been a monumental
struggle as it is for Diamond to get a comics license. I just think we might
want to let 'em nail that down before we start raising our expectations.

Gary