Filo Filur

Olaf Solstrand harryklein at hotmail.com
Mon May 28 08:38:33 CEST 2001

"Filo Filur" appears in lots of stories I know from the pocket books and the
"Onkel Skrue" magazines. He has been in lots of stories. He mainly appears
as a friend of Scrooge's wooer, I don't remember her name, but in Norwegian
it's "Birgitte".

Some details on Filo:
- He has appeared under many different names (at least in Norwegian). Blame
the translators!

- He is not afraid of doing things in the illegal way. I specially remember
him from a story drawn specially for the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul,
which has about 200 pages (!) and contains almost all Disney figures
(Scrooge, Donald, HD&L, Gyro, Mickey, Mickey's little crow friend, The
Beagle Boys, Black Pete, Rockerduck, "Birgitte", Fethry etc. etc. etc. By
the way, in this story Filo had no name - he was always referred to as
"Birgitte"'s compagnion.) Here, Filo was

- He is a genious inventor. He once invented a water-driven car which
Scrooge also bought (and then suddenly he realized that the car needed 50
liters of water to drive a kilometer) Don't get me wrong, he is nothing
compared to Gyro...

- He wants to be a strong business man in Duckburg, and he often starts from
scratch with different ideas. He has been selling things like shoes,
grasshoppers and transistor radios, but one thing I especially remember is
that he once made small lamps containing live fireflys!

- He once swallowed a magic amethyst which originally belonged to Scrooge's
servant ("James" in Norwegian, very often used in the pocket books). This
accident revealed that he deep inside has a crush on "Birgitte"!

So, the final question... Does "Filo Filur" exist in the Duckburg to believe
in? (as explained earlier, the Duckburg *I* believe in contains neither
Mickey or Fethry) My opinion is YES, if you choose to believe in "Birgitte"
you must also believe in "Filo" - he is appearantly "Birgitte"'s best
friend. But even though he exists in Duckburg, he is not an important
person, but just a good friend of a woman that admires Scrooge. I would
never use him in a story myself, unless I once should make a "Birgitte"
story. Got my point?

-olaf-