Cowboy Captain

Anders Christian Sivebaek acsive at mail.mira.dk
Mon May 28 12:39:34 CEST 2001

NORMAN

>In the german edition of "The cowboy captain of the Cutty Sark", on
page
>6, panel 3, Scrooge refers to his two running longhorns as "Michael
>Muhmachers", in reference to german Formula 1 pilot Michael
Schumacher.
>I just can´t think Don wrote this in the original version. Can
anyone
>tell me the english text of that panel?

The answer to this is already given. Of course Don wouldn't put such a
name there. That formula-1-driver wasn't even thought about back when
the story takes place. But it's a bit typical (If I'm to be mean,
especially from certain german stories). The fact that the MM is for
kids at a certain age, makes it so that such "funny" names are put in
the story. Sadly the same translation, and not one made more throughly
from the original is used in the albums, aimed at grown-ups.
This makes me wonder what the names of those two JW-leaders (supposed
to be Osborne and Taliaferro, and were so in US and Norway, at least)
actually were in the german version. I can conclude that they must have
been fun names.

I'm making a conclusion here that we have 3 kinds of translators

The one who is honest to the original, translating directly when it's
names of persons and places. (Norwegian one is a good example)

The one who makes his own references to history and names, not always
fitting into the time-shedule, but still being funny (The danish one is
a good example)

The one who makes most historical and namely references into fun names
for kids. Maybe he doesn't do so as much as earlier. (German one?) -
The JW jubilee, King Scrooge, and now the Cowboy Captain.

A question is: which one do you like best? I have a large possiblity to
compare the first with the second now. I don't have any of those I
mentioned as examples for the 3rd one...

A. C. Sivebaek
acsive at mail.mira.dk