Chase Craig

JTorci3511@aol.com JTorci3511 at aol.com
Tue May 29 14:12:12 CEST 2001

Rob Klein and Everyone:

I particularly enjoyed Rob's comments in # 549, most notably:

<< "Don Ault's recent interview of Chase Craig (now over 90 years old),
produced mainly general comments about Western's policies, his own editorial
work, and his and Western's relation to Carl Barks.  He did not remember
much, if anything, regarding specific incidents or situations."  >>

Just two days earlier, I had written some comments on the classic comic book
editors, particularly focusing on DC's Jack Schiff.  Specifically, wondering
if Schiff were dead like Mort Weisinger, or still living like Julius
Schwartz, Stan Lee, and (...I assumed, but wasn't totally certain) Chase
Craig.  Needless to say, I very much appreciate the information on Mr. Craig.

WHERE WILL DON AULT'S INTERVIEW WITH CRAIG BE PUBLISHED?!  I want to see it!
There is SO MUCH information about Western Publishing which will just die
with the passing of men like Craig.  I'm certain there are many of us who
would like to learn all they can!

Regarding the descriptive "cover captions" on mid-1960s Gold Key comics, I
tend to think that the individual writers, themselves, may have been
responsible for them.

Consider THE FLINTSTONES # 34 (June, 1966), with the lead story of the coming
of The Great Gazoo (...the little green wish-granting man from space, who
many feel marred the final season of the original TV series).  The story was
apparently written by Vic Lockman and -- given Lockman's tendencies toward
rhyming and alliteration in his captions and dialogue -- so was the
descriptive cover caption.

"With a Blip, Blam, Bloo, Comes The Great Gazoo!"

Sounds like Vic Lockman's handiwork to me.  Just as "Yeeks!  Advance to the
Rear!" sounds like something Barks would have written at the time of "Queen
of the Wild Dog Pack".  So, my educated guess is that these captions most
likely originated with the writers of the stories in question, with the
approval of editorial.

Oh, and for any Flintstones fans out there... Vic Lockman demonstrated wisdom
far in excess of the series producers Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera in that he
SENT GAZOO BACK HOME TO SPACE at the end of the story!

Joe Torcivia