Norway trip and Duckhunter meeting

Sigvald Grøsfjeld sigvaldg at stud.ntnu.no
Wed May 30 23:56:42 CEST 2001

Hello everyone at DCML!

Just a few comments to ACs wonderful description of his trip to my home
city Stavanger:

>Then we drove to the city, Stavanger in Sigvald's father's car.
>In Stavanger we firstly spend some ours at Løvås, a second-hand shop.
>The issues there were sorted very nicely in years, and it was easy to
>find the issues that I wanted for me and my dutch completist-friend.
>(The ones they had at least). I also got a look at other things in the
>store, big books, collections, american Gladstone's and many
>pocketbooks. They even had dansih comic albums!

We even found an issue of the Danish Anders And & Co (32/2000) which
included Don Rosa's "class schedule". So I bought it instead of Anders who
off course looked for the Norwegian edition of that one.

>Hereafter we went to see the place were Sigvald's father grew up, In
>Pedersgaten (Peter's Street approximately). The family had a wellknown
>butcher-store here for many years. Even our host family knew about the
>place. Sigvald's Uncle was the last owner, and is now retired.

Løvås is also in Pedersgaten, at the same side of the road, located some 50
meters closer to the senter of the City.

>We visitted Stavanger Dome (head church). We have around 9 in Denmark,
>don't we?) where there was some choir-session going on, but we went
>around and it was really a nice place, with ornaments and those colored
>windows I like so much.

The church Anders is mentioning is "Stavanger Domkirke".

>Then we went around this big lake in the middle of city.

Everything is relative... You can easily walk around "Breiavatnet" in 10
minutes.

>We drove to the university were Sigvald went 20 years ago. In 1980 he
>first got experience with computers in a certain room at this place
>which he showed me.

Not 100% correct. It didn't start my studies at "Høgskolen" before August
1987. However, I knew that place well before that, because my father worked
there for many years. So it was my father who let me use one of their
computers in the early 1980's.

>We drove past Hafrsfjord were Norway was made into one kingdom by
>Harald Hårfagre (he had much hair I suppose)

Correct! The saga says that he let his hair grow until the had conquered
the whole nation. The batle at Hafrsfjord is said to have taken place in
the year 872. But some Norwegian historians says that it's possible that it
actually took place some years after.

>Then we drove to Sigvald's house, said hi to his father and went down
>in the basement where Sigvald lives. Sigvald had the old computergame
>"Summergames" and played the national anthems of Denmark and Norway!

Yes, as many others I had a Commodore 64 in the 1980s. Later on I got a
Commodore 128D - which I use to set in C-64 mode.

>At around 5-30 pm Geir arrived. we said hello and talked about
>different things. Eg. Barks-indexes that look alike.

Yes, and Geir concluded that the Danish Barks Indeks was based upon the
Norwegian one that he has made together with Erik Hørthe and perhaps some
other people.

>As told, Sigvald's head subject is history - he ends it with his head
>reporrt (I'd call it a doctor disputatis or something). It's really
>heavy, on 230 pages! About property right in the beginning of the 16th
>centruy in a certain community (Ry) in Norway.

Actually it's 231!!! pages. And it's about how the local courts in Ryfylke
(the area north of Stavanger, in the south west of Norway) worked in the
period 1616-1642. I have been consentrating about cases consering real
estates, such as conflicts about borders, ownership, various taxes conected
to real estates, hereditary rights, etc. The only thing left before I am
finnished with my studies is two exams in June.

>The day after Sigvald had phoned and I called back. I had brought with
>me the dansih weekly which was actually for Sigvald. I'm very
>forgetfull you see.

To be honest - it seems that both of us were a bit forgetfull those days.
But it ended well!

>So Sigvald fecthed it as his father and him were going somewhere.

To my fathers sister and her husband to be exact.

And to conclude Anders' report I can ensure everyone that it was very nice
to have him visiting me. From my point of view the meeting was very
successfull, and I am very happy that it seems that my friends seems to
agree with me.

Best regards from
Sigvald :-)