Flintheart Glomgold

Dim I Nticoudis dimadick at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 5 14:07:14 CET 2001

  Flintheart Glomgold.The only mentions of a relative of Glomgold are in the
stories:1)"The Money Champ"(W US 27-01) by Carl Barks,Flintheart mentions he
betrayed his mother's dreams and 2)"All That Glitters is Not Gold"(KT 2190)
in which there is a scene in which Flintheart's mother calls him and he
refuses to answer her.But the later is a Ducktales storie.Has his mother
ever actualy appeared or named?Wiliam Van Horn placed him in the family tree
of the Ducks so I guess he could be a distant relative.
  As for Flintheart himself,I consider him s lonely version of
Scrooge.Scrooge is the head of a large family.A circle of activity of alies
and opponents is always surrounding Scrooge.His Money Bin is the symbol of
an always expanding megalopolis.In contrast Flintheart has no close
relatives,his only associations are Scrooge,Scrooge's familie and Scrooge's
enemies and his Money Bin is in a deserted valley "in the heart of Africa"
with nobody around for a looong way.Barks made a fine job when he exibited
how much alike and how much different are the two of them.
  But he has Scrooge's love for money and Scrooge said in some stories that
he would even leave his fortune to John D.Rockerduck if that was the way for
it to be preserved and expanded.I do not think Flintheart can be that much
different.
  Scrooge McDuck was always my favorite Disney character but Flintheart has
much of his appeal.Has Don Rosa revieled anything else for Flintheart's past
besides what is mentioned in his scetches for "The Life and Times of Scrooge
McDuck"?