Old Donald Duck.

O Bordier o.bordier at wanadoo.fr
Fri Nov 9 15:38:50 CET 2001

Hi everyone!

Dim:
>> Donald is certainly not as great a character as Scrooge but there is no
>> reason to turn him into the shallow man he is in stories like "Guardians of
>> the Lost Library".

Agreed. I like Don Rosa's funny depiction of  him (the whole TV-watching throughout the "Lost Library" adventure is hilarious-- "flip and bursts into flames", he he :)) ; or "Incident at McDuck Tower": plain slapstick), but I don't quite like his nearly always being treated like that.

Nearly. He's not always such an insignifcant no-good foil in Don Rosa's stories. Even if  it's the nephews who do all the job, he does go after the crooks and searches for the precious artefacts in "The Lost Charts of  Columbus". And he is quite heroic in "Return to Xanadu".

As far as the character is concerned, my favorite Donald stories by Don Rosa are "Super Snooper Strikes Again" (that's the correct title, right? I only have it in French :( ) and expecially "The Duck That Never Was". The former has Don Rosa's scientific hallmark and this nice ending, and the latter is a great "what if". Both show that, flawed and clumsy as he is, Donald is important-- even vital to the balance of  the Ducks' universe.

Olivier