Blot's Double Mystery

Petri Kanninen pkannine at cc.hut.fi
Wed Nov 21 15:14:14 CET 2001

DIM:
>  As for your references to Martina's work I don't know if aging was his
>problem.I have the 1955 story "The Blot's Double Mysterie"by Martina and
>Scarpa.The Blot's plan is to frame Mickey for attempting to kill O'Hara
>and then frame O'Hara for embezzling police money so that both of them
>can end their days in prison with their fames ruined.Fine plot but the
>story is ruined by the appearance of Wonderland's Mad Hatter in Mouseton
>and Mickey's savior being Eega Beeva.So Martina had strange ideas even in
>his earlier stories.

What! Ruined! No way!
This story is one of my all time favorites. Actually ranking in my TOP 3
of pocket book stories. The plot is so thick with suspense and excitement
you could cut it with a knive (heh!). The Blot is the ingenious,
cold-hearted villain whose elegant crimes make your heart bleed out for
our heroes. That is the person I consider Phamton Blot to be: someone who
is more than the average criminal like Black Pete (OK, he's not average
either, but closer to it than Blot). The hypnotism part of the story makes
it even better as you can't guess what Mickey is going to do next. There
are many great and exciting scenes as Goofy is almost drowned or when
Mickey goes and stabs chief O'Hara. The whole episode happening in the
old stone house (or what was it?) is thick with atmosphere, just the
perfect place for odd incidents. Also the mysterious appearance of
Blot's notes make you more and more amazed. What is happening here?! And
you just have to read on compelled to know Blot's secret.
What comes to Mad Hatter there's nothing wrong with him. The story needs
hat seller, so why not use a known character. Besides it adds to the humor
of the story, when you know where he comes.
And Eega Beeva as rescuer: Mickey really needs help to win the Blot, and
Eega is one character who can help Mickey beat him. Mickey is out of
options when his in prison, but after Eega appears, I always think that
there is now hope for Mickey and they're going to kick Blot's butt to who
knows where.
I think that's enough from me this time, I just had to defend one of my
favorite stories.

BTW. Dim, has the story "Paperin Fracassa" (I TL 584-A) ever been
published in Greece? That's an another story by Martini and Scarpa with
animation characters (Snow White, the seven dwarves, the fox and cat from
Pinocchio) in it, this time in more important positions. Perhaps after
reading that the Mad Hatter in Double Mystery wouldn't feel so bad.

--
Petri Kanninen (pkannine at cc.hut.fi)
Aku Ankan taskukirja -tietokanta: http:/www.perunamaa.net/taskarit/

"Elokuvataiteen kannalta Van Damme on ollut merkittävimmillään
Replicant-elokuvan loppuhuipennuksessa, jossa hän potki ja
pieksi perusteellisesti itseään." -Mikko Vienonen, IS 13.10.2001