Paperinik et al.

Botto Armando Armando.Botto at elsag.it
Thu Nov 22 12:11:54 CET 2001

Hi again, Dim (and Petri).

> "Paperinik should never lose".Why?I do not like invincible
heroes.Everybody is defeated from time to time.It is interesting to know how
a character prepares his revenge or accepts his defeat.Paperinik should
loose a few battles as long as he has worthy rivals.

Don't take me too literally, there was a smiling emoticon after my
"Paperinik should never lose"...

> You mention Super Goof stories as funny.I don't know.I never liked any of
them.

I don't like most of them, but I think that's because the character was
almost always given very poor scripts. The idea of providing a goof with
super powers isn't bad, in terms of the opportunities it provides to write
funny stories (I can't say how original such idea was, though: I suspect it
was already used in earlier non-Disney comics or movies).

> Especialy the appearances of pale versions of Scrooge McDuck and The
Phantom Blot in some of them. [...] There is,one whose title I can't
remember in which Scrooge is transformed into Super Scrooge.

That's exactly the kind of stories I was reminded of when I saw Daisy
transformed into Paperinika ;-)

> Compared to that Fethry's stories are masterpieces!

Hmmm... some of the early Kinney/Hubbard Fethry's stories *are* little
masterpieces, IMHO...

> I don't know what you mean about Scarpa's Mouse.

I mean exactly what Sprea wrote in a previous message: Scarpa's Mouse is
Gottfredson's Mouse. (Maybe this is oversimplifying things: Gottfredson's
Mickey evolved a lot during the 25 years in which he drew him. Let's say
that Scarpa's Mouse is the natural evolution of Gottfredson's...)

> As for your references to Martina's work I don't know if aging was his
problem. I have the 1955 story "The Blot's Double Mysterie"by Martina and
Scarpa.The Blot's plan is to frame Mickey for attempting to kill O'Hara and
then frame O'Hara for embezzling police money so that both of them can end
their days in prison with their fames ruined

Actually, Martina's script went even further: the Blot's original plan is to
have Mickey actually kill O'Hara, and get the electric chair for this! Maybe
the Greek translators decided that was too much for a Disney comic...

> Fine plot but the story is ruined by the appearance of Wonderland's Mad
Hatter in Mouseton and Mickey's savior being Eega Beeva.

That's a matter of tastes. Like Petri, I like this story a lot, and I'm not
disturbed by the appearance of these two characters. After all, Eega Beeva
is a Gottfredson character, just like the Blot...

> So Martina had strange ideas even in his earlier stories.

Sure, he had *very* strange ideas from the very beginning of his writing
career. The few stories he wrote in the late 40es - early 50es are good
examples of what I mean! And he always liked to mix together characters
coming from different Disney "universes". But I'm questioning the *quality*
of the stories he wrote when he got older, not their structure.

> "Paperin Fracassa" by Martina(not Martini as Petri mentions) and Scarpa
has been reprinted in Greece.I have a 1973 version in an issue of "Klasika"
magazine [...] Before the storie there are 4 pages by a different artist
which explain that this storie is a dream Donald had after he fell asleep
while watching television.The program he was watching was too childish for
Huey,Dewey and Louie!And it was about fairytales explaining Donald's
inspiration.At least that was a small consolation.Then five more pages from
the same,unknown to me,artist have Donald waking up and then proceed to link
this story with another which is a parody of Cyrano de Bergerac.

The "Klasika" you have is probably a reprint of the corresponding issue in
the "Classici di Walt Disney" (CWD) Italian series. In CWD the stories were
linked to each other by a "frame-story". Giuseppe Perego is the artist who
usually drew those segments, scripted by Dalmasso.

> (If Armando is interested "Paperin Fracassa" is from 1967 and Martina has
written better stories after this one). That "Blot's Double Musterie" is
much better than this one doesn't tell me much.

I'm not too fond of "Paperin Fracassa", either. So, that Martina has written
better stories after this one doesn't tell me much, too! ;-)

Ciao,
Armando