Kriton and KOMIX:

joe gouldIII joegouldiii at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 29 02:24:23 CET 2001

  Since Kriton is going to cease translating KOMIX
articles , let me say this - already pretty out of
date - thing , before it becomes , TOTALLY , outdated
!!!
  A few months ago , in an interview with Don , he
said " There are no more Western comic books in
America anymore " , or , words to that effect .
  If that is what he actually said , I assume that he
meant it metaphorically - some Western
titles/characters DO , and HAVE , come out from major
and minor characters , in the last few years DC's
revived 1970s concepts " Weird Western Tales " , and "
El Diablo " , on their adult-aimed Vertigo line , and
one or two Jonah Hexes , one Tomahawk , Marvel's put
out a mini-series called " Blaze Of Glory " , using
their 50s/60s Western characters , the
nostalgia/reprint-oriented AC Comics had released a
slew of reprints , in B&W , of 1940s/1950s material (
and , a few new stories , as well . ) , the
now-defunct Topps put out a , apparently rather
aggressively " modern " , Lone Ranger mini-series that
I saw a " send mail protesting this ( even if you
haven't read it " notice about , in a column for
old-time Western fans , plus at least one issue , from
another publiser , reprinting the Cary Bates-scripted
LS syndie sstrip from about the early
1980s...Doubtless there have been others .
  It's certainly not very much , and I won't argue
with Don's main point...It's even accurate to point
out that Jonah Hex's successful run , really , ended
15 years ago...I guess it could be said , too , that
most of these Western comics of modern times are less
" nice/innocent " than the
once-common-in-the-40s-and-50s liscenced
character-based ones...But , then , I understand that
, also , a lot of the European Western comics are a
lot less " nice " than the American ones , of the
40s/50s , were , too !!!!!!!!!