On the Komix situation

Archontis Pantsios apantsio at ac.anatolia.edu.gr
Thu Nov 29 12:42:31 CET 2001

KRITON to GARY:

> Um, I wasn't suggesting that Greek readers should stop buying Komix,
> only that they do not take over my monthly "column" in the DCML!!!
> Did I use a wrong expression?

I've already expressed to Kriton my reservations over his decision to cease
"his" monthly column on KOMIX's contents (I put "his" in quotes, since he
had held it in "trust" after I left for the U.S. for a few months in 2000
:-)). Let me state here that I believe that stopping the monthly column will
not hurt Terzopoulos as much as it will the dcml members--the reason I had
started the KOMIX column 4-5 years ago was to inform the dcml members and
not to promote KOMIX. I have the same intention with my new column on the
remaining of the Disney titles. After all, this list is called Disney Comics
Mailing List. Kriton has the right to cease doing the translations and the
presentations himself, but I think that it's unfair to ask from others to
follow suit...I think that dcml members should be given the information and
decide on their own as to whether they like KOMIX or not...

> > Disclaimer: I am a longtime fan of Sergio Aragonιs work, and personally
> > don't see how it could cause any harm to Komix.
> To push things to their extreme, hoping to make it clear why I am upset,
> let me point out that "War and Peace" is a masterpiece, so perhaps
> Komix should dedicate 16 or 32 pages each issue to printing that story
> in installments.

I, too, am very upset at KOMIX's attempt to become a "generic" comic-book by
including in its pages non-Disney stuff. (BTW, are there other instances
around the world where non-Disney characters are appearing alongside Disney
ones in the *same* comic-book?). It's not a matter of *purism*, as Gary
implied. It's a simple, practical matter: when I buy a Disney magazine, I
want to read Disney stories.

KRITON to HARRY:

> > There are some similarities with the Gladstone comics when their sales
went
> > down. We got less content for a larger price. We got advertisements
> > disguised as articles.
> Did we?!?!?

I believe that Harry is referring to the few "articles" by Gladstone's owner
Bruce Hamilton on various old, rare Disney comics (for sale).

> Next month, e.g., they will be printing
> a classic Christmas story by Scarpa. They don't say what story it is,
> but I doubt that I'd want to miss it.

Luca guessed correctly: KOMIX mentions a "Scarpa 1954 Christmas story" and
that can only be "Topolino e Le Delizie Natalizie", Martina/Scarpa.

Cheers,

Archontis

Archontis L. Pantsios, Ph.D.
Assistant Academic Dean & Professor of Economics
The American College of Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki--GREECE
Phone #: +30-310-398228