Comic Shop DisComics ( A Slight Correction ! ) !

joe gouldIII joegouldiii at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 21:21:56 CEST 2001

...I should correct myself slightly , on one
assertation I made before...When Western took their
comics liscences and production from Dell to start
their own Gold Key (/Whitman/Western ) company , while
Dell continued , without Western , putting out comic
books into early 1973 , that DID mean " a new comic
book company " that sprung up , and had a raesonably ,
finacially speaking , lengthy run , in the 1957-1982
era - first , I thought of it from the perspective of
" Oh , wait , the 1963-1973 Dell..." - Then , finally
sitting down at the keyboard , I was seized , thank
God , by the realization that 1963-1983 GK (/W/W )
DOES qualify as a " new company " , whereas the
1963-1973 Dell qualifies as the " previously existing
one " - However , U.S. comics fans DO tend to classify
them together - Indeed , I believe that
Ducks/Disney/Dell fans are , ESPECIALLY , prone to
consider the Dell-Western split as " one strong
company became two weaker ones " - regardless, they
were two different companies . However , I believe my
main point still holds .
  And really , the market for newsstand distribution
of " regular " , slick magazines , never mind comic
books , in the US , had been really going through a
large contraction - contributing to a lot of
well-known magazines ( Life , Brill's Content ,
Mademoiselle , George ) going out of business ,
recently , in the US , - even BEFORE the horrible
events of 9/11 and all that has followed after that .
Now what  ?????