Weird relatives

Olaf Solstrand harryklein at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 08:31:24 CEST 2001

Shelley:
>What I meant was, if people want to think of Carl Barks as being
>related to someone in Duckburg, then remember that the family
>name (last name) usually has some relationship to what kind of
>animal they are -- like Mouse, Duck, Gander, etc. So someone
>with a name like "Barks" would be related to a dog, because in English the
>sound a dog makes is a "Bark." (I forgot that
>non-native English speakers might not know that.)

Bah. Of course I knew that.

>So, the idea that a Dog character could be a second or third
>cousin of a Duck or Chicken character -- well, even in Kentucky
>I don't think that's possible!

That depends on how you look on the animals...

In the real world, a horse can breed with a donkey and make a mule. (=muldyr
in Norwegian, I think that's the word?) But a mule can't breed with another
mule and have children from that. In other words, a horse can have children
with a donkey, a duck can maybe have children with a goose and a monkey can
probably have children with an elephant. But none of these can children
again give birth to new animals.

What the situation's like in Duckburg is that we have tons of tons of
animals... no, we don't. They're all "humanized". They think like humen,
they walk like humen, they talk like humen and they dress like humen. They
just look different.

Therefor, I don't think of the animals in Duckburg as animals, but I look at
them as several breeds of the human rase - just like caucasians, native
americans and african americans. And these can have children with each
other, can't they? (I think so?) You never see any humen in the comic saying
"how weird? a talking duck with a sailor's suit!"

I don't want to think of Gus Goose and Gladstone Gander as being sterile,
therefor I want this to be true. So that a duck and a goose can have a
not-sterile child - and probably a dog and a goose as well.

Sorry if you don't understand me, but I'm in a terrible hurry.