Grandma

Armando Botto armando.botto at libero.it
Mon Sep 24 21:38:58 CEST 2001

Luca Faccioli wrote:
> in the italian version the background is blue and you can see one of the 3
nephews crying, in front of us there is an angry DD going away with a broken
arch in his hand and an arrow that has been throwed inside his hat. [...]
Sometimes I thought to have dreamed about it but italian "Topolino" n. 865 -
july 1972- printed a draw of one readers showing that cover! So it surely
exists !

Actually, the drawing is in "Topolino" n. 867... Well, that Donald Duck
looked familiar to me: in fact, it's taken from the cover of "Topolino" n.
810 (June 1971), which in turn is the Italian reprint of the cover of
"Donald Duck" n. 136 (March 1971, titled "All the Crabby Ducks": Harry,
maybe a [desc] should be added to the Inducks... something like "reporter DA
and angry DD pursued by Indians").

> I only remember a Strobl' story inside referring to Grandma duck and a
young nice female Duck in his farm with an hat with a star put into (she
should be a western - Movie star ...)

There's no such story in "Topolino" n. 810. But then, the background of the
cover is green, and not blue as you remember... Maybe there was another
Italian comic whose cover was partly redrawn from the one of DD 136,
replacing Daisy and the Indians with the crying nephew ? Or, also, was the
Donald in the cover of DD 136 taken from a previous American cover (not very
likely, but...) ?
I must say that the gag in TL 867 (by a mr. Antonio Borella) is rather
well-built: apart from the addition of the nephew, Donald is not simply
traced, but some details are added or modified... it doesn't look like the
work of a reader. But I might be wrong...

Hope it helps,
Armando