mattressface, creation of a disney comic

DYER,SONIA (HP-Cupertino,ex1) sonia_dyer at hp.com
Fri Apr 5 22:16:41 CEST 2002

>...like a mattress, that is to say the thing you have on a bed?" Is this a
joke
>because of his beard?
>
>If this was a gag that made sense, it must have been some ancient joke
>popular from Barks' youth. I never did understand why someone with  beard
>would have a name like "matressface". What sort of mattress looks like
hair?

I haven't seen a picture of the character you're referring to, but in the
days of Barks' youth, mattresses, sofas, and chairs were often stuffed with
horsehair.

I'd be interested in a translation of the Creation of a Disney Comic.  The
pictures look interesting, but I only know enough German to understand about
half the text.

	Thx,
	   Sonia