DCML digest #887

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Apr 8 14:22:17 CEST 2002

From: Goofy313g at aol.com (Gilles Maurice)
Subject: Donald 1934 [to Don]
>>>I wanted to know about some drawings you made about Donald's birthday
which
included both your Donald Duck and  Donald Duck as he looked in 1934..
Do you consider those scenes have occured? How d'you explain them?

That was simply a cover gag I did for a German comic fanzine in 1994.

From: "m at teusz lis" <lis- at wp.pl>
in Rosa's "The Treasury of Croesus". It's on page 17. What this
inscription mean?

I'm assuming you're seeing that inscription in the margin (outside the panel
area) of the art? That's a colorist's directive -- those sometimes slip by
the eye of the guy who is supposed to remove them from the print version. It
was a directive of how to color the Turkish flag (though some @$#%&  altered
the flag symbols I'd drawn onto the flag and made it a fictional flag, even
though my story was *definitely* taking place in a non-fictional Turkey).

>>>I hope that you understand me. Thanks for your help.
Fox

Yes, but I usually decline to answer anonymous questions. Please put your
true name on your postings. Or is your actual name "Fox"? That doesn't sound
very Polish. Thanks.

From: Goofy313g at aol.com (Gilles Maurice)
star.
Maybe the moon has been censored???

That's actually *absolutely right*. The moon was censored because some
functionary who was not reading the story decided that I am not allowed to
draw an actual national flag into a child's comic... some unwary tyke might
accidentally *learn* something. My hair didn't used to be this gray 10 years
ago.

From: "Fluks, H.W." <H.W.Fluks at kpn.com>
INDUCKS),
we need to know *how many* newspaper gags were printed.

My hair didn't used to this gray even 5 years ago.

#2 -- November 1940
cover -- DD trying to kill a turkey with a hatchet (!)
inside cover -- Disney movie "festival" promo
contents page -- (DD ill.)
12 DD dailies -- AT.... 4 pp
"Oscar the Ostrich" -- MM strips (cont.) -- FG ... 14 pp
"Donald Duck Goes A-Scouting" -- (DD) ill. text ... 3 pp
24 DD dailies -- AT ... 8 pp
"And Now - the Donald Duck Doodle"--(DD)("DD Steps Out")--ill. text... 3 pp
"The Little Whirlwind" (MM) -- ill. text ... 2 pp
"Sky Island" -- MM strips (conc.) -- FG ... 13 pp
9 DD dailies -- AT ... 3 pp
"The Flying Mouse" (Silly Sym. adaptation) -- ill. text ... 4 pp
12 DD dailies -- AT ... 4 pp
"Thanksgiving Puzzle" -- puzzle page ... 1 p
"The Little Whirlwind" (ill. text conclusion) ... 1 p
"Thanksgiving Puzzle" -- puzzle page (conclusion) ... 1 p
3 DD dailies -- AT ... 1 p
inside cover -- contest page
back cover -- subs. info

#3 -- December 1940
cover -- DD (fireman)
inside cover -- contest page
contents page -- (DD)
DD daily (1 AT daily cut up and scattered cockeyed to fill an entire page)
"Peculiar Penguins" (Silly Sym. adaptation) -- ill. text ... 3 pp
15 DD dailies -- AT ... 5 pp
"The Seven Ghosts" -- MM strips (w/DD) -- FG ... 18 pp
"The Sun and Stars" -- text ... 1p
1 DD Sunday -- AT ... 1 p
"The Fire Chief" -- (DD) ill. text (inc. 1 full page ill.) ... 3 pp
"It's Magic!" -- puzzle pages ... 2 pp
2 DD Sundays -- AT ... 2 pp
MM strips -- FG ... 4 pp
3 DD Sundays -- AT ... 3 pp
MM strips (w/DD) -- FG ... 4 pp
"Don Donald" -- (DD) ill. text ... 4 pp
"Oscar the Ostrich" (conclusion) -- MM strips -- FG ... 9 pp
3 DD Sundays -- AT ... 3 pp
inside cover -- "Fire Chief" w/DD film promo
back cover -- subs. info