Boers (RE: Reply to Helen Johnes; Disney comics in India)

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Tue Aug 13 10:02:04 CEST 2002

Larry wrote:

> Glomgold replies "I'm a Boer" (which I think means he has Dutch
> ancestry).

Technically, a Boer can mean any white person in South Africa that speaks
the Afrikaans language. This language is indeed derived from the Dutch, and
many Boers will be of Dutch ancestry, but there are also many of German and
French ancestry etc. For instance the Botha family's name is derived from
the German "Both". Not to mention Terreblanche (a French name). Well, let's
indeed not mention him. 8-)

--Harry.
(trying to be a bore)