Reply to Helen Johnes; Disney comics in India

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Mon Aug 19 12:20:28 CEST 2002

LARRY:

> 6, Glomgold replies "I'm a Boer" (which I think means he has Dutch
> ancestry).
> Don Rosa uses this just for a "play on words" joke.  Scrooge isn't
> familiar with the
> word "Boer", but thinks that Glomgold meant that he's boring,

I suspect that this is a double pun: Assuming that "oe" is pronounced
the same way in Afrikaans as it is in Dutch, what Scrooge heard was
not what English speakers would assume he heard by reading Don's dialog
("I'm a bore"), but "I'm a boor". Either way, Scrooge's reaction to the
misunderstood word is appropriate!

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"Life is a hereditary disease, sexually transmitted and invariably fatal."
-----