Real quality

The Fenske's dbfenske at telus.net
Thu Dec 5 20:38:22 CET 2002

I'm with Don and Michiel regarding Calvin & Hobbes.  Bill Watterson is a
brilliant cartoonist,
and his C&H drawings are among the most enjoyable to *look* at of any I've ever
seen.  They are certainly far more expressive and original than most Disney
product, except
for Don Rosa, Carl Barks, and a number of other Duck artists of
merit.  Couple that with
Watterson's wry commentaries on life (everything from the meaning of it all to
deep theological reflections and everything in-between), and you have a
strip that bears
returning to again and again.  C&H is the only strip that ever had me fall
off a chair howling
with laughter.

The fact that Sigvald would place C&H in the same sentence as *that* s-word
leads me to
believe that he has never read any.  Am I correct, Sigvald?

And while we're on the topic of great non-Disney cartoons, let us not
forget Bloom County,
Outland, and The Far Side.  Where have you all gone???

Dave Fenske
- drooling over the anticipated return of Rosa stories to the
English-speaking world.