About "correct" comics

sigvald@duckburg.dk sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sat Dec 7 21:21:18 CET 2002

"The Fenske's" <dbfenske at telus.net> wrote:

> What do you mean by "correct?"  Surely you don't
> mean politically correct, as that just doesn't fit.

No I mean that it's *in* among "cool" people. These
people can say "Donald Duck is for kids", often without
being criticized for it. If someone comes up with some
critics against their beloved comics it's definately
criticized - even at DCML (just remember what happened
to me a few days ago).

> Calvin & Hobbes is popular because it's both very funny
> (not at all a bad thing), and it makes observations about
> us (life, family, friendship, interactions with peers,
> the world of the imagination, etc.) that are both poignant
> and accurate.

These qualities may fit well for a simple news paper strip,
but IMO it looks a bit strange in big hard cover books.

> I have a large collection of Disney comics from the
> 60's, when I was young. Many contain great Barks
> stories, but there are a lot of rather juvenile (and
> totally shallow as far as reflections on life are
> concerned)

Of course they are - real quality comics should be
concerned about entertaining not about reflecting.
Well of course reflections itselves doesn't make a
comics bad, but a comics can IMO *only* be concerned
as good if it's entertaining - just like as it is
with movies.

>>> For that matter, I'm a big fan of Ernie, too, and
>>> Beetle Bailey often gets a laugh out of me as well...
>>
>> Exactly!!! These comics seems to be about one thing
>> - humor. Unfortunately some people seems to believe
>> that short humor gags is all that comics should be
>> concerned about.
>
> But a comic like Calvin & Hobbes, or Bloom County, is
> about so much more. Sure, the humor is there, thankfully,
> but those comics also contain a lot of insight, political
> commentary, etc.

So what? As stated above comics should IMO first be concerned
about entertaining, not act like "60 minutes".

>> Well, I am different, I prefer long comics stories
>> with an intelligent plot. So I very seldom read
>> modern humor gags comics.
>
> Well, you'll only get those from Rosa, some Barks, Gottredson,
> or the better super-hero stories (of which there are a few that
> are worthy of consideration).

I don't read such super-hero stuff (well exept from Captain
Kentucky).

> Maybe the situation is better where you live, however....

Probably, we still have some European quality comics like
Asterix, Luck Luke and Blueberry around here.

Sigvald :-)