Duckburg/Mouseton

Gerstein, David DK - ECN DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Tue Dec 10 11:16:31 CET 2002

	Hey Rich,

>Personally, I'm partial to the Donald in Duckburg and Mickey in Mouseton
>version.  If I'm not mistaken, I think David Gerstein once said that here
>in the USA it was also published that the name of Mickey's hometown was
>once called Mickeyville, but I'm not sure.

	Er... uh... Rich, you're >gulp!< mistaken!
	The name I mentioned was Disneyville. It's the name that Western
Publishing generally gave to Mickey's town in the 1930s and 1940s,
particularly in text features and stories done for Mickey Mouse Magazine and
WDC&S.
	It dropped out of usage in the 1950s, when separate cities for the
different characters became the norm. The name Duckburg spread from Barks
stories to other duck work; the name Mouseville spread from Gottfredson's
"Phantom Blot" story to other mouse stories (though it never became common),
and the wolves and Brers now lived in the forest 'settlement', the
terminology coming from the Brer Rabbit newspaper strip.

	David