Nephews' Cap Colour

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Mon Dec 30 15:54:51 CET 2002

Kai:

> This still doesn't confirm if this pattern is used in all Egmont
> stories, or how widely this is used outside Finland.

The issue of the nephews' caps' colours is an FAQ on this list: every 2
years or so someone asks a question about it. 8-)

Per Starbäck summarised some discussions of the past on:
http://stp.ling.uu.se/~starback/dcml/chars/hdl.html (Last updated February
27, 1999.)

Quoting Per:

<<
Colours

How do you tell them apart? Which one wears which colour (red/blue/green)?
The short answer is that Huey wears red, Dewey blue, and Louie green, but
that this has not always been the case.

In the old cartoons HD&L wore different colours in different cartoons, and
sometimes two or all three of them wore the same colour, very often red. In
their very first cartoon Huey wore a green shirt and cap, Dewey orange and
Louie red.

So this red-blue-green thing was invented in the comics, where their shirts
are black but their caps have different colours. Earlier the colourists
weren't consistent about it though, so not only do they wear different
colours in different stories, but also they seem to switch caps between
panels!

[Hm, I skipped over the Sunday pages. What about the colouring of them?]

The current official colour scheme was first used in the modern TV
animation, i.e., in DuckTales, and later adopted by Gladstone and Disney
Comics most of the time.

--Harry.