Holdin' his likker, Nicto

Shelley Hanson klezmerallthatjazz at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 1 16:14:06 CET 2002

I suppose Scrooge must have been in the saloon when some miner who had just
struck gold bought a round for the house --- because I can't imagine Scrooge
actually paying money for something frivolous, unless maybe he was with
Goldie. ("Fun? Bah!" as in King of the Golden River). But I agree with Don,
I also see his as being a tough guy who could hold his likker. ("No softies
in the Yukon....")

I always kind of thought that in the "Barada Nicto" line from "When the
Earth Stood Still," we were getting a sort of Germanized inter-galactic
Esperanto -- "Nicto" being kind of "Nicht - do" -- i.e., don't do it.