Uncle Scrooge's money

John Crocker John.Crocker at student.oc.edu
Mon Jan 14 23:57:07 CET 2002

Having recently gone over the e-mails about Scrooge's money and the
currency(ies) that it is in, I noticed that no one seemed to question
the time validity of Scrooge converting his money into Euro's.

Now, I do realize that a) people have their own concepts of the Disney
Duck universe and that b) publishers are probably trying to do their
best to make reading the comics easier, i.e. for Europeans in the Euro
countries, it will probably begin to flow well when reading about
Scrooge and his Euros.

But, I'm historically-minded and I know many other DCML'ers are also
keen on keeping Scrooge stories as set in the mid 1900's. Thus, it seems
that though Scrooge's bin obviously has money in various currencies from
various countries, the idea of the Euro is not one that should be
handled.

Now, I realize that this concept has probably been skewed by the
presence of recent inventions and such in Duck stories, but I personally
like the idea that not only in reading Duck stories do we get a look
into the characters, but that the setting would keep its root in the
period of the 1900's that the Ducks enjoyed their adventures.

Feel free to share any and all thoughts on this.

thanks

-john crocker (from America where, with hope, I wait to see Disney
comics back on the shelves)