Where Scrooge lives

Tommi Perkola matope at uta.fi
Sun Jan 13 14:35:15 CET 2002

Dan Shane wrote:
> While I will be the very first to agree that Americans in general seem to
> think they are the only people on the planet, I think you're being harsh to
> call Don arrogant for his choice of setting his stories where and when he
> wants.  I perceive that decision as having absolutely nothing to do with a
> nationalistic or overly patriotic spirit, but simply a matter of simple
> geography and time.

I didn't mean to insult anyone. There simply are such things alive as
traditions, and euroducks where Duckburg hasn't any clear situation on
the map, and where Scrooge is Grandma's brother, and where ducks live
the same decade as the reader right now, is one of them.

Disney comics practically lived the passage between Barks and Rosa in
that tradition, and some of us grew with it. And by the way, there are
some good stories and artwork in it. Pays off to check out!

 > $crooge was created, not by countless Europeans or even an
international
> committee, but by a single man who placed his newly thought up character
> squarely on the West coast of North America.  He wrote plenty of stories
> that made it pretty clear where and when $crooge was meant to exist, and
> $crooge's travels reinforced that setting.  Anyone else who wrote stories
> based on that character changed $crooge himself if he or she said he lived
> elsewhere.

True.

> Should we accept OZ sequels that say Dorothy was not really from Kansas, and
> that OZ is in fact now located in Siberia?

Maybe, but as far as I know Oz story consists only of one or few books,
probably written by the same author. Disney-comics since early fifties
has been a broad tradition shared by numerous writers and artists. There
has been more or less consistency, but some anyway. New characters
emerged, some of whom remained. I mean, in Oz stories or Middle-earth
the keeping some core consistency is less meaningful than in large body
of disney comics, where practically none has a total view of all stories
published under the label "disney". In the first case it's just the
artist's choice to break the narrative consistency in his very own
stories, in latter he'd affect in several other artists' work.

> Those thousands of pages of "euroducs" are about a $crooge I never knew.
> I'm not saying that as an American; I'm saying it as someone who grew up
> reading comics written and drawn by Carl Barks.  It is not arrogant to say I
> favor that duck over later incarnations, it is simply a matter of taste.

True.

--
http://www.tampere.fi/ytoteto/viisto_kuvat/jpg/21027.jpg