DCML digest #807

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Fri Jan 18 23:39:24 CET 2002

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren?= Krarup Olesen <raptus at stofanet.dk>
>>>The only thing that really bothers me is when someone claims that they
are closer to the "true fact", the so-called "original" and stick to
that, not for sake of making good Disney comics but for the sake of
being original only.

If this is a reference to my methodology, it would puzzle me. I am in the
forefront of saying that these stories should be flexible, each writer or
artist choosing the style he likes to work with, that traditions once
established in a country should be continued, that there should be
something in these comics for all types of readers.
But if this *is* a reference to me, I ask again how or why you would expect
me to have any other view?!  The only version I *know* is the original,
therefore that is the version I stick to. I stick to it because I can make
a good story within that original tradition just as someone else can make a
good story within the altered versions. Why should I go out of my way to
alter my view to a version that is false in my reality?

>>>So my message is plain and simple: Don't bother with consistancy and
details, Disney comics wasn't meant for that in the first place!

But you DO demand consistency, I hope you realize that. $crooge is always
rich. He wears a top hat. Gladstone is lucky. There are three Nephews.
There is... well, I could fill pages. Just go look at the "writers' bible"
for these stories that list all the hundreds of elements that MUST be
consistent in each and every one of these stories. What you are referring
to are apparently (as near as I can guess) some additional facts that are
not consistent 100% of the time in certain stories. I can't begin to
understand how you draw a distinct line at which facts you want to be
consistent and which ones you want flexible. But I won't argue that --
that's your preference and that's fine. There are plenty of stories in the
comics for you. But are you saying that *every* one of these thousands of
stories should be done exactly the way you want them done? Cripes, I hope
not! What an attitude! Simply because it's not your preference, does not
make it wrong.
So my message is plain and simple: If you don't enjoy an extra percentage
point of consistency and details, don't read the stories that use that
technique. Those Disney comics wasn't meant for you in the first place!