Languages

Francesco Spreafico frspreaf at tin.it
Mon Jan 21 19:32:18 CET 2002

From: "Kriton Kyrimis" <kyrimis at cti.gr>

> Like I said, it's more a matter of requiring an almost total re-write.
> Pointing out individual typos may well prove to be more work than a
> re-write. :(  Perhaps some young enthusiastic Greek list member might
> want to volunteer for the latter.

It seemed to me that there ain't no such think as a Greek willing to index,
maybe you've all got an anti-index gene, I don't know :-)

> The problem with that particular title (which I believe should be
> translated, after all, although I am unable to check, as I don't have
> that album), is that it was apparently transcribed mechanically (by a
> program?), without any understanding of what was being translated!
> It would be like reading "10x10" as "ten ex ten" in English!

Hello, I'm a program :-)

But I understood that, of course. It would be just the same in Italian,
that's why I said that it must remain as it is, "10x10". There are ways to
do that with issues' titles too, I guess.

> My guess is that you either spoke to someone from group #1, or, more
> likely, you misunderstood the extent of the simplifications that group
> #2 uses.

What I thought was that this accent information came from you, but I
probably remeber wrong :-)

> It is my sense that as long as things are set up correctly (which may or
> may not require a bit of extra work to do so), a Greek-speaking indexer
> (Greek or otherwise) would not require any extra time to index stories in
> correctly typed Greek. In fact, since support for Greek characters appears
> to be already in place, it would take more time for this hypothetical
> indexer to enter data without accents, than with accents; typing the
> accents may be extra work, but the attention he would have to pay,
> to make sure that he doesn't type them instinctively, is even more costly.

But who's gonna do this? You? You'd be definitely welcome  :-)
I actually have no idea if the input files can be handled directly with
Greek letters or not. Now it's only the output that has them, an input entry
looks like this (never mind the added line breaks):

KX   61      h3  [issdate:1993-07] [inx:FSp] [pages:52] [price:300 Drc.]
KX   61a    ARC US  242    1 c      RSc RSc     US  [xapp:US,HDL,BRI]
[xref:I TL  243-A(cover)]
KX   61b    I TL  243-A   35 3      RSc RSc     US  To teleytaio mpalampoy
[xapp:US,BRI(1st),DD,HDL] [code:K.121]
KX   61c    Qgr/KX   61c   1 a          -       --  O Skroytz, h tzenh kai
to teleytaio mpalampoy
KX   61d                   0+i      CB) RSc     ->  [hero:US,BRI]
[xapp:US,BRI] [brokpg:1/15] [desc:Money Perfume] [changes:dedication cut]
[remake of a sketch Barks had sent to Scarpa, first(?) published on the Blue
Book]
KX   61e    W WDC 149-17   9 4      MDM)BWr     MM  O qaymatopoios [part:4]
[code:Reg.U.S.pat.off copr.1952 by Walt Disney Productions World rights
reserved | K.122]

As you can see, titles like "To teleytaio mpalampoy" become real Greek only
on the output files, I never types any Greek letters.

> In any case, I don't know how useful a Greek index in its present
> form would be to a non-Greek. Speaking for myself as a Greek, however,
> I don't think I could use it.

I still can't see why. It's only titles after all that are in Greek, and
titles are definitely not the most important part of an index.

--
Sprea