What if...

timo ronkainen timoro at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 18:22:50 CET 2002

>From: "Christopher Burton" if the Walt Disney Company, in an attempt to
>create a more cohesive and "logical" universe, came up with guidelines that
>standardized some (or all!) of the very things that have been discussed and
>required the licensees to follow them? What if they officially established
>Duckburg's location? What if they defined the color, nature and origin of
>the money in Scrooge's bin? What if they established an official historical
>chronology?

I think that's excatly what has been done for years and many times with
comics like Batman, Superman (and other). Yet we have seen many different
versions and origin stories of them - in different times different
chronologies have been created. And writers, artists and comics editors have
nearly lost their minds trying to weave all loose parts and details together
in one coherent "universe". Still there is lots of unlogical things. And
things like these haven't prevent writers and artists to create something
that is out of "guidelines", Batman have had his "Elseworlds" adventures
etc...
Therefore I think it would be futile trying to create some guidelines or
anything like that.
Much more freedom is what Disney creators needs nowadays. It's kind of funny
how Don Rosa have been able to do stuff he have done. Lucky thing he have
had that freedom. Some editor could have easily said: "No new relatives for
Ducks and especially no parents!"...

Greetings
Timo

^^''*''^^