Lost days

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Tue Jan 29 13:28:13 CET 2002

DON:

> Gort, Klattu birada nikto. Squa tront!

Spa fon, Don!

> Really? I had assumed that there was no logical reason why days-of-the-week
> were skipped.

After some more thorough investigation (i.e., skimming through the
first web page suggested by Google), it would seem that I was wrong,
after all. The last day of the Julian Calendar, Thursday, October 4,
1582, was followed by Friday, October 15.  I guess that the theological
argument must have been that October 15 should be a Monday.

Speaking of lost days, due to calndar switches, there is a book by Abner
Shimony, titled "Tibaldo and the Hole in the Calendar", about how an
11-year-old boy, growing up in 16th-century Italy, loses his birthday
when the Gregorian calendar replaces the Julian calendar in 1582, and
how he fights to prevent this loss. [Summary extracted from an Amazon
review--I haven't read the book.]

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----