Darkest Africa's (other) Artist(s)

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Mon Jul 1 09:46:10 CEST 2002

Luca:

> Subject: Re: Darkest Africa's (other) Artist(s)

> I also got the news about Daan, but... it couldn't be alla
> made by himself!

The re-inking was indeed finished by Dick Vlottes (who fortunately had a
very short carreer at Disney comics).

> So, it's not made expecially for the USA publications. It
> seems to be made
> for the Dutch DD and later reprinted in USA...

Right. The Dutch version is from 1982. It misses one panel of the original
(too stereotyped cannibals close-up). The USA version was even more
censored: the remaining cannibals had their mouths redrawn.
This USA version has been used afterwards in Europe (except Holland), so
Italy probably uses that same redrawn, censored, re-censored version.

--Harry.
(www.inducks.org)