Oeps!/Gerkins/Grandma's Car

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Mon Jul 1 23:01:27 CEST 2002

Voor Harry F:   Oeps! Oeps! Oeps! Ja, Ik ben dat wel vergeten!
I guess I've only been by Knooppunt Ridderkerk several hundred times.  You see
what happens when you become older than 50???  I agree that this streamlined
and smoothe, and well-engineered interchange is too functional to be noted as a
tourist landmark.  However, the disorganised and chaotic situation of Barks' 7-
route interchange was quite a spectacle to imagine in 1952 (when Barks drew
it). I don't believe we had such superhighway interchanges in 1952. (am I yet
senile here also?) I still think it is worthy as a Duckburg landmark (it's the
place where "road rage" was born in Duckburg (especially involving Donald)).

For Gary:  Don't the Americans refer to the small "pickling" cucumbers as
gherkins? - and the large cucumbers as "salad cucumbers" (or is there a special
word for the bigger variety?  Refering to raw cucumbers as "pickles" is
definately incorrect!  I am sure the farmers and harvesters did not call them
by those names officially.  Referring to them that way is a "lazy" informal way
of speaking that becomes common speech if enough people use those terms.  This
situation is akin to the common usage of "I COULD care less", when the speaker
clearly MEANS "I couldn't care less".  Being an American, and a simple man of
the people, even Carl Barks could (and did) pick up colloquial speech. A large
number of Americans did (and probably still do) refer to cucumbers as pickles.
Having known Carl for approximately 35 years, I would bet the family farm that
he knew the difference between a raw cucumber and a pickled gherkin.  Like many
other people, he picked up a common term for a common item.  I, myself, have
been guilty of such in a very telling (and ironic) way. I am Jewish, yet, at
times, (after spending much time in USA) when angry or startled, I find myself
saying "Jesus Christ!". This is DEFINATELY something I would not want to say
(for various reasons).

For Frank B., Timo et al:  I believe that Al Taliaferro drew Grandma's car
first.  But, I am not sure (as we all might guess based on the above note to
Harry).  Perhaps David or someone else knowledgeable on the DD Daily strips can
tell us.  Barks didn't draw it until 1950.  I'm almost certain I saw it in a
1940s strip.

Regarding the model for it:  I think it may have been a composite of the late
1890s and early 1900s (horseless carriage models) mixed with the late 1910s
Milburn and Detroit Electric styles; because her car is not built as solidly as
the 1918-19 models, the running boards are different, and the wheels and lamps
are also more old fashioned.

Rob Klein