Barks' references in Don Rosa's "Fit to be Pied"

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Fri Jul 5 08:53:15 CEST 2002

No new Disney comics in English for over 3 years now.  So I've been
re-reading my Gladstone collection, and finished all the long Barks
stories.  Now I've started the Don Rosa stories, beginning with
"Son of the Sun".  When I read "Fit to be Pied", I saw some
items from Barks' stories I hadn't noticed before, so I tried to access
DuckHunt's "Barks' References" page to see if they were already
posted there.  A few years ago I helped Osgar Jensen with a few
references---that website was lots of fun.  But Osgar Jensen is
now busy with other things, and his webpage isn't responding
anymore.  Has it died forever?  I'm sure he put a lot of work into it.
When I didn't get any response, I searched around and found DCML,
and joined this mailing list.

            The Barks' references I noticed in "Fit to be Pied" are:
  1.  Page 5, panel 3:  Donald examines a costume that looks just like
Smorgie the Bad, the ogre conjured up by Witch Hazel in Barks' 1952
"Trick or Treat" Holloween story.
   2.  Page 5, panels 4 through  page 7, panel 1,  Donald uses a
disguise (huge coat, hat and beard) previously worn by Scrooge in
Barks' November, 1957 story,  "Sagmore Springs Hotel".
          Does anyone know if these references were already posted?
                                ----Larry Giver