The Junior Woodchuck Guidebook -- how private is it?

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Mon Jul 22 09:30:17 CEST 2002

                I've been re-reading Don Rosa's early stories, and
noticed he's not completely consistent regarding the privacy of the
Junior Woodchuck Guidebook.  Sometimes only members can look at it, but
not always.  In Don's first story, "Son of the Sun",  HDL refused to let
the museum curator (same curator from Barks' "Golden Helmet") see the
pages about the ancient Incas because they "took a vow".  Of course,
Glomgold looked in the guidebook, without the consent of HDL.   But at
the end of "Return to Plain Awful", HDL left a copy of the guidebook for
the Awfultonians to read!  The implication was that the next time we see
Plain Awful, the residents there will all be organized into Junior
Woodchuck troops.  And then in "The Curse of Nostrildamus", all of us
readers get to see a page of the Guidebook with the picture of
Nostrildamus wearing his necklace with the locket, and Scrooge must have
seen this picture, too, so he could know what to look for, as HDL did
not go with Scrooge and Donald in this story.
                I haven't re-read the "Lost Library" story yet to see
how the privacy issue is treated in that story, but I recall the privacy
policy is back to the strict Junior Woodchuck "eyes only".   But when I
re-read the Nostrildamus story, and realized that we are actually
looking at a page of the Guidebook (which I thought was forbidden), I
thought it would be really wild if we had an on-line website version of
the guidebook for all of us fans of the Junior Woodchucks to use!
                                    ----Larry Giver.